Sunday, September 28, 2008

Partial Fulfillment

I almost forgot to tell you-- I had, last weekend, partial fulfillment of my "Where I Thought I'd Be" musings when I received distinguished world-traveling visitors here at the Turbopalace. Exotic Canadians Johanna (of Adventures of a Geogeek fame) and Kevin made an impromptu 12-hour drive from the wilds of Ontario to our fair Smallish City, for the purpose of picking up a shmancy sea kayak Kevin had ordered from the U.K.

Yes, these people are serious about their kayaking. Unlike me, since my kayak hadn't been out of the cellar in two years (too many boats), and I still hadn't fixed my paddle which broke over a year ago. But J & K kindly brought me a spare paddle, and made me haul the old hulk out of the basement. K. took the ferry over to the island where the kayak merchant lived, while J. & I paddled over. Then we had a lovely paddle around the bay, stopping to roam around an old fort. (I'm not sure what kind of camera J. was using that makes our grey-green waters look Virgin Islands-turquoise.)

Anyway, back at the Palace we went out for beers and stuff. It was a great visit. I hope they come back. And now I am wondering if I can entice other international readers to visit-- Hello, Australia? Israel? Kansas City? [Note: I suggest you come in the next two weeks, or wait till June...]

4 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

Kayaking was way too much work for me.

And one friendly piece of advice: do NOT invite Israelis to stay at your place lol.

9/28/08, 10:28 AM  
Blogger Johanna said...

I am exotic. And Canadian. Two words not commonly used to describe us northerners...

Am already planning the next invasion. Might need to order another kayak first, though.

9/28/08, 2:09 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

What are you talking about "wait until June"? It's almost ski season, man! Canadians love snow.

9/29/08, 6:35 AM  
Blogger Turbo said...

Heather- That comment was directed mainly at the warm-blooded Australians, Israelis, etc. Though, come to think of it, it applies to Canadians as well-- you probably have better snow where you are! Remind me why I live here, again?

9/29/08, 7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home