Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Unusual Sight In The Smallish State

Back in the days when I lived in Philadelphia, Boston, and NYC, I took no notice of Porsches and Jaguars on the street. They were a dime a dozen, so to speak. Ferraris, Maseratis, and Lamboghinis were a bit less numerous, but still more or less a daily sight. The occasional Rolls Royce or Bentley merited a moment of admiration, but that's about it. You'd never interrupt your dinner companion to alert him that a Rolls had just driven past the restaurant.

Here in the Smallish State, it's not like that. It's pretty rare to see a car with a pricetag over $50,000. So I was a bit shocked, walking back from the sandwich shop just now, to see a man getting out of a Maybach 57. He was in front of one of the nicer hotels in town, and appeared to be handing the keys to the valet.

This car is worth more than my house, boat, Subaru, and kidneys put together. Retail price seems to be about $350,000. What on earth is it doing in the Smallish City? Does its owner not notice that our streets are currently an ungodly dangerous mess of potholes, glare ice, rock salt, sand tornadoes, and sea spray? He would be wise to take his precious machine back to Massachusetts before some ill befalls it...

3 Comments:

Blogger Ladyk73 said...

Yikes!!!! I once saw a Lamborghini in Toronto and a Rolls-Royce in Fort Meyers. I often see HUMMERS and they just make me ill on so many levels.

I just think of how many vaccines can be purchased for Afica, or how many computers can be given to inner city kids with that kind of $$.
However, I did fondle a $895 coach bag today. My coach was only $120!!!! PPsssbbbtttt!

Seriously. Road salt/sand? Slush freesine rain?

3/12/08, 12:58 AM  
Blogger GirlTuesday said...

first, it's kind of ugly.

second, they have road salt, pot-holes, and grossness in massachusetts. i'm not sure it's any safer down there. . . .

3/12/08, 3:51 PM  
Blogger NeoNurseChic said...

I was just down in Sarasota, Florida (on an island called Siesta Key) for a week, and one night we were out to dinner and saw a Bentley. It had a tag that said, "Wed Gft" and it turns out it was around $195,000 - or was it $295,000....can't remember now what my dad said. But how crazy is that????

I live just outside Philadelphia on the Main Line no less, but I don't even see cars like that around here!! A lot of Land Rovers, though - which even the teens drive, which blows my mind... I'll stick with my wonderful Nissan! :O)

3/23/08, 9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home