Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Ran Aground In A Harbour Town

Sandra Lee and I have been preparing for a little journey up the coast of the Smallish State next month. To that end there has been a great deal of repairing, improving, overhauling, installing, rewiring, drilling, sealing, whipping, splicing, seizing, greasing, oiling, and, when all else fails (as it usually does with autopilots), sending-back-to-the-factory-for-refurbishing. Today I successfully spliced an anchor line to put a new steel eye in it, which made me feel good.

At the same time, the age-old dream of crossing real oceans in my own boat seems lost at sea, or at least so overdue that we might realistically consider the possibility that it will never arrive. For a year or more I paced the metaphorical widow’s walk hoping to see it returning. But now I’ve decided to sell off the offshore gear accumulated over the years of dreaming—my sextant, an emergency watermaker, a set of rigging cutters, celestial navigation sight reduction tables… It makes me somewhat sad, but seems like the thing to do. You’ll find it all on ebay, if you’re thinking of setting sail. Fair winds.

4 Comments:

Blogger Katinka said...

I'm sure you've thought this through fully but must admit it still makes me a little bit sad to read it though!

7/14/07, 1:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think you should sell it. Why so sure you won't do the trip sometime? Keep the dream alive. Pop

7/16/07, 9:14 PM  
Blogger Ladyk73 said...

Yikes! My dear friend and ex-boyfriend set sail with some wonderful people we met visiting the great lakes (which is where I live).

They were setting sail from Mexico to the Marquesas Islands (one of the common paths across the pacific-which I bet you knew!) on their way home on the other side of the world.

A third of the way there, they had at least one (or more?) chain plates break. As there ability to tack was limited, and there ability to jive impossible, they gently turned around and headed east...to where ever their sails would land them.

What a lofty goal...but I bet a few days at sea would simulate the experience. From their reports, they described the trip (before the mast concerns) as quite boring.

However, Please remember that the purpose of life....is to fullfill your dreams! Oh...and to pay taxes of course!

8/2/07, 2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Noooooooooooooo

3/11/08, 4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home